Sunday, May 13, 2012


Sprucin’ Up the Deck for Summer



It’s 91 degrees here today and I am finding myself using my deck more and more. We just had it put in last summer and it’s like a whole extra room. I had no idea we would use it so much and really consider it more living space. I love sitting out there every morning drinking my chai latte reading the Bible and whatever book I'm working on at the moment (today it was Beautiful Outlaw which is SO good!).








 I haven’t done a whole lot with it yet except put some furniture on it which I got from one of my best friends who moved to Spokane recently. It’s fun having these visual reminders of her on the deck – every time I sit on my porch swing I think of my good buddy. We also scored an amazing deal on a gas grill last year. I’ve wanted one for so long, but they are not cheap! But, last year my husband was at the right place at the right time. The place was Home Depot and the time was after one was damaged or returned (not sure which). The friendly Home Depot guy told my husband that it was only missing two wheels and other than that it worked great and did he want it for $75? Uh, yeah!!! 






So with these basics, I started adding a few pots here and there which have sat neglected since early spring. I had some beautiful primroses in these, but they have seen better days. Here is a picture of my sad pots…


So I headed out the home improvement stores and our feed store (which has the most beautiful plants!) and bought a few things to just start getting the deck ready for the season. I also found some really, really pretty flowers at Rite Aid of all places including a gorgeous day lilly. Who knew? I wish I had bought more, because when I came to my senses and went back to get another, they were gone. Oh well. Anyway, here are some pictures of my efforts so far…old plants pulled out, new plants put in, everything freshened up!



I planted wave petunias which are supposed to cascade down the sides of the pots over the summer. I also added some color to the grill area and the table and check out that sunset!




Oh…and I had some great company, and entertainment from this guy…


Hope you are having a great weekend!











6 comments:

  1. HI Courtney...thanks for joining the newbie party. I just read your bio and think it is a really neat story. Please add my link or button to your post. Any party you join you need to do this. I have a bunch of tutorials under my header. Thanks and welcome to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you uprooted yourself to move to the country! Hope you are enjoying yourself - and your fabulous deck!

    Happy to be a follower.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, Lovely flowers and neat story about your move to the country. Found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I'm now following and look forward to reading more about your living in the country adventures. :-) Have a terrific week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers look lovely. And your entertainment is darling. And I adore that little dog metal sculpture on the deck!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm a little jealous of your beautiful view. Great job with the flowers, they add the perfect touch! (Newest follower)

    ReplyDelete