Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Husband's Favorite Dinner Gets a Healthy Makeover

My hubby loves, loves, loves Shepherd's Pie. No, this is not a dish that is very unhealthy to begin with, but I tweaked the usual recipe to keep inline with our healthier eating habits. This couldn't be easier and even my pickiest eaters went for it (healthy modifications and all).

I started by browning a pound of locally raised ground turkey with some diced onion. Then I got my organic carrots and potatoes boiling...



After the ground turkey had browned, I added about 1 1/2 cups of water and 2 Tbsp give or take of arrowroot powder to thicken the water and juices from the turkey to make gravy. As soon as it was as thick as I wanted it, I added organic peas and corn as well as the carrots I had cooked. 


Next, I mashed my potatoes,  flavored them with some nice sea salt and tarragon, then layered them over the meat and veggie mixture.


Served with some banana muffins I made, it made a relatively fast and very yummy dinner.


1 comment:

  1. I have a nice lower fat version of shepherds pie too, but I think I'll try the arrowroot or cornstarch next time. Mine uses a jar of fat free beef gravy, but it's probably loaded with preservatives, etc.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete