Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Smoothie Kits



Recently we were blessed to receive (for free!!!) a practically new upright freezer from a friend who is moving. So, I am working to fill it with yummy and healthy food. I especially would like some homemade convenience foods, made from great ingredients, to have on hand when I need something quick. I checked out Pinterest for some ideas and came across some really creative ones! One of my favorites was a smoothie kit. I made five up to try and have loved having a healthy whole foods breakfast ready in minutes with no prep work. 

For ours I used:

2 c bananas sliced 1" thick
2 c organic strawberries sliced in half
1 c organic blueberries
3 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
2 Tbsp ground flax seed

I put all the ingredients in a gallon size freezer Ziploc and repeated four more times :) It was fast and easy to make several at once. On Pinterest, one person froze yogurt into muffin cups and popped one cup into each kit. I definitely want to try that next time.  

When ready to use, just pour ingredients into blender, fill with water or milk or milk alternative half-way up pitcher and blend! I have also been known to add in a big handful of baby spinach (which is nearly undetectable when done this way, and really boosts the nutrient content), raw honey, coconut milk, coconut oil and bee pollen. The cool thing about smoothies (no pun intended!) is that you can sneak in all kinds of super healthy things and even the most picky eaters will seldom be the wiser. Heh heh heh. Score one for mom.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Your ingredient list sounds a lot like my smoothie recipe. 1 low fat plain yougurt, oj, half a frozen banana, and any kind of berry that I have on hand, fresh or frozen. But if I had all this ready in the freezer in KITS I would make my healthy on the go smoothie more often! Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy :) Your recipe sounds good! I like the idea of using plain yogurt - a little tangy and a little sweet is such an awesome combination. I'll have to try it!

      Delete